Little Kinks & Coils – Sunday = Wash Day!
Sunday is usually “hair day” for my girls. Since I have 3 girls, this is usually an all-day process that I honestly dread. It takes a lot (let’s say it again, a lot) of patience to fight it out with my 3 girls to wash, condition and style their hair. With that being said, I try to keep it simple as possible but it’s still a struggle.
Growing up, my hair maintained a relaxer from the very beginning. I don’t know what age my hair was relaxed but I was definitely young. Over the last year or so, I have transitioned to no longer using relaxers and have vowed the same for my daughters’ hair as well.
We typically have the same Sunday morning hair routine and we rarely make changes to the process. Confession time!!! I’m a hair junkie and love to randomly purchase hair products. Therefore, products do change, but we rarely change the hair care process. Here are the steps that work for me to care for children’s hair:
- Apply pre-poo treatment to help aid against the stripping of natural oils and moisture of the hair. Sometimes, I get fancy and whip up my own concoction using a combination of coconut and olive oils, honey, avocado and/or banana. My best “fancy” concoction is avocado + coconut oil + honey. However, most Sundays I don’t have the time to get “fancy” so I just mix an oil of my choice with my favorite conditioner. This particular Sunday, I mixed Jojoba oil with Queen Helene’s deep conditioning cream.
- Cover with plastic cap and sit under dryer for 15 min. This step is only for my 5 year old. My 2 year old twins AIN’T HAVIN’ IT (lol). I usually let the twins run around for about 30 minutes with the pre-poo treatment.
- Rinse pre-poo treatment and apply shampoo + conditioner following the directions specified on the bottles. Our favorite shampoo and conditioner combinations are Shea Moisture’s Intensive Hydration shampoo and conditioner or Strength, Grow & Restore (Jamaican Black Castor Oil) shampoo and conditioner. We typically stick to these 2 product lines from Shea Moisture.
- Once product has been removed, I prepare the hair for styling using the following products. In the following order, I apply the following to my child’s hair – Carol’s Daughter Hair Milk (as the leave-in conditioner), Camille Rose Cocoa Nibs & Honey (as the oil), and Camille Rose Coconut Water “Style Setter” (as the cream) or Carol’s Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey (as pomade). For my children, this is the best combination that leaves my children’s hair soft, moisturized and cleansed.
- Now, it’s time for styling. Depending on my mood, I choose between braids, twists, ponytails or wash n’ go. Braids being my best friends and wash n’ go my worst enemy. Since I am a working mother who rushes every morning to get my girls prepared for school/daycare, braids tend to fit my lifestyle with least maintenance throughout the week. This Sunday, my 5 year old received a braiding style and the twins received a puff using our #1 go-to accessory, The Puff Cuff (mini). I’ll tell you more about The Puff Cuff a little later this week – it’s amazing!
Well, that’s it. THIS is how I spend my Sundays with my 3 little princesses. I’m still learning and adjusting to ensure I provide the best natural hair care for my girls. If you have any tips to help me better care for my girls’ hair, please share them below.
With love + caffeine,